Mobile communication is advancing throughout enterprises of
sizes. The Short Messaging Service (SMS) has been globally available
for more than 10 years now and offers a powerful and beneficial tool
for enterprise communication. Despite different requirements by SME and
corporate users the SMS proves to be a leading wireless communication
medium that can be managed and integrated easily with existing IT
environments. System requirements are very low, terminal devices widely
spread and benefits of its use high. SMS is perfectly suited for
‘Mobile Alerts’ as well as ‘Info on
type of applications in an enterprise.
Corporate SMS Applications:
The existing installation scenarios and current trends show
and increasing demand for the following applications:
What clients ask for:
- Sales Force Automation
- Supply Chain and Logistics Information
- Management Information System
- Enterprise Network Monitoring
- Customer Relationship Management
- Mobile Office Applications
Advantages of SMS
- High reliability and availability of the wireless medium
- High reliability and availability of the mobile enabling
- Seamless integration of the enabling software into
existing IT environments i.e. availability of various
connectivity/interfaces and high flexibility.
- Comprehensive logging of incoming, outgoing, and
undelivered SMS as well as system errors.
- Very strong security mechanism to prevent information
access by undesired people.
- Ability of the mobile enabling software to send/receive SMS
to/from GSM as well as CDMA networks.
- One single product that has a flexible and scalable design
allows deployment of variety of applications and also allows upgrade of
the software to incorporate newer standards.
Advantages of using SMS for corporate applications are directly related
to the advantages of SMS itself. SMS is a highly mature communication
tool and guarantees a high level of availability and quality of
service. Some of the advantages of SMS are as listed
- Although service providers do not guarantee delivery time
for each SMSr, 95% of message delivery is almost instantaneous,
thus making it ideal for alerts and notifications.
- Possibility of two-way communication, unlike radio
pagers, allows deployment of push messaging as well as interactive
- Ability to identify the sender mobile phone number allows
deployment of interactive work-flow applications.
International delivery allows information accessibility irrespective of
the location of origin/destination mobile user.
- Single international standard for SMS allows use of same
software to send information over multiple mobile networks (for example
GSM to CDMA and vice versa).
- Growing popularity of mobile phones and availability of SMS
capability on all mobile handsets means high reach.
- Growing reach of mobile networks gives high reach for SMS
- Popularity and ease of use of SMS means virtually zero
training requirements for mobile users.
- Quieter delivery of SMS as compared to voice calls makes it
for reaching mobile users without making them feel
- Store and forward nature of SMS messaging allows messages
stored in SMSC if the destination mobile phone is not reachable (either
switched off or out of network). The message gets delivered when the
mobile phone is reachable again (storage period in SMSC is limited by
the maximum validity period setting of the service provider’s
ProductiveT is here to help
Mobile enabling software products from ProductiveT are a
years of interacting with various enterprises and understanding their
exact needs. Features have been packed in to the products that make
deployment of corporate SMS applications an IT professional’s
For more information, contact us